Five post boxes and a telephone kiosk were damaged by suspected explosive devices in Chichester district on Boxing Day night (Wednesday, December 26).
They are all believed to have been targeted in Bosham, Lavant, Charlton, East Dean and Oving between 10pm and 12 midnight and police are now appealing for witnesses.
Detective Inspector Alan Pack said: “We believe something has been placed at the locations that has caused a small explosion resulting in the damage. It’s important to stress that we believe these criminal acts were intended to cause damage and nobody has been hurt, but there is significant potential to cause injury and we have dedicated officers to the investigation as a matter of urgency.
"Our crime scene investigators will be at the locations carrying out thorough examinations and officers will be carrying out house to house enquiries in the area. We are very keen to speak to anyone who saw any suspicious vehicles or people near to post boxes or telephone kiosks, and also owners of dash cams who may have footage that cover the locations during the relevant times.
"If anyone has information that might assist this investigation please report online or call 101 quoting Operation Dolly. Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
"If you see anything suspicious at other post boxes, as a precaution, stay at least 50 metres away from the location and call us on 999."
The locations currently identified are as follows:
- Post-box outside The Reach, Smugglers Lane, Bosham
- Post-box at the entrance to Bosham Hoe on Hoe Lane junction with Smugglers Lane, Bosham
- Post-box on the A286 junction with St Nicholas Road, Lavant
- Post-box outside The Fox Goes Free public house, Charlton Road, Charlton
- Post-box near the Star and Garter public house, East Dean
- Telephone kiosk at the High Street junction with Highfield Lane, Oving.